If you have any vintage gibson guitars that are posted on this site ,you are always welcome to post a review,comment or detailed features ,im sure other guitar players who visit us would love to know ... Domenic

Important Note : Due to the overwhelming amount of comments on this blog i cannot answer all the questions although id love to . You can still post questions hopefully some of our viewers can help you out ... Thank You

Gibson EB-1

--
Gibson EB-1 Electric Bass ( 1953 - 1972 )

gibson electric bass eb-1In 1952-53 about 2 years after fender released the fender precision bass , gibson decided to get into the electric bass market ,

they introduced their first bass model which had a shorter scale ( 30.5" ) than the fender precision bass and instead had a violin shaped body and called it the gibson electric bass.

The bass had a single pick up which was placed at the end of the neck unlike the precision bass that had it fitted at mid body , thus giving it a deeper but less defined sound .

The bass wasn't as succesful as the fender in sales, the whole design concept left many bass players skeptical and confused , the short scale ( 30.5") was one of the features that was not a favorite amongst many bass players ,

the bass had telescopic end pins which was a feature to target upright bass players , it had banjo kluson style tuners , painted f holes on a violin shaped

mahogany body , alnico pickups close to the bridge , raised pickguards ,brown covers on the pickups and were made in brown stained finishes .

gibson eb-1A very limited number of these gibson basses were produced until early 1958 . During the same year gibson introduced a new bass model called the gibson EB-2 ,

and the original gibson electric bass was renamed the gibson EB-1 during the same year ( 1958 ) but was short lived a couple of months later in late 1958 .

In late 1969 gibson reintroduced the gibson EB-1 with humbucking pickups , chrome bridge covers , and standard right angled tuners , and were discontinued in 1972 .

The gibson EB-1 is sought after by many collectors for its historical significance , its the first bass gibson introduced on the market and it opened the doors for many gibson bass EB models that followed .

Vintage Price Value For 2007 :
1953 - 1958 > $4200 to $5200
1969 - 1972 > $1600 to $2100

guitar price guideAvg Upward Trend Of 9% A Year Since 2000
1969 to 1972 > 4%

If you want to buy an eb bass , you can find Gibson EB Basses For Sale on ebay but they don't have them all the time ... You have to be patient , they show up once and a while ..

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:52 PM

    I have a Gibson EBO from 1959. I'm trying to find more information on the model. Can you help? Thanks
    punkrckgrl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:58 AM

    I am curious I saw version made epiphone. would it br similar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:46 AM

    I bought a fifties model of this bass for only $50.00 dollars in 1965. It was in very good condition, looking like new after polish, and the original case was in excellent shape. The telescoping stand was included, too. Unfortunately I sold it around 1974 for either $300.00 or $600.00 dollars. I can't remember. Often over the years, I've missed it, and regretted selling it even a few months after doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:32 PM

    I have something that resembles and EB but I'm not quite convinced. Can anyone help?
    I have a few pics I can send.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:25 AM

    I own a 1953 EB-1 that I found and bought at a garage sale for $300.00. I love that bass and its low rumbling tones. The pickup was reintroduced by Yamaha and Billy Sheehan in the 90's on one of their signature models.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:41 PM

    can someone tell me where I can find banjo tuners for a 1953 EB-1 bass

    ReplyDelete
  7. I own a 72 ebo. Love it. Got it for two hundred. A steal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have an EB-0 thats either a 61 or 63 ... serial # says 63 but features are earlier ... anyway, Im missing the pickguard and tuners. Obviously the pickguard is diffrent but the tuners are, I imagine, the same as similar-vintage EB-1s ... anyone know where I can find these old Klusons, or remakes, thereof? Id hate to have to bore larger holes if I didnt have to

    ReplyDelete